Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cranberry Sauce

So even though I made this cranberry sauce back in November for Thanksgiving, I still wanted to post it for two reasons: 1) this was the first time I'd ever made real cranberry sauce, and 2) I really liked the photos.  Even though I don't have photos of the end result, it was pretty.

Having never cooked with cranberries before, I had no idea that they'd start to split / pop as they heated.  I was a little nervous at first that I was about to cause some sort of explosion, but luckily the house we just bought is still standing.

This recipe was BEYOND easy.  Even though I came across it on Beantown Baker's site, it's the standard recipe from Ocean Spray.  I don't normally eat cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving because the canned gelatin stuff freaks me out.  But I love the flavor of cranberries and I really enjoyed this dish.  I was able to make it a day or two before the holiday and then just leave it in the fridge until we were ready to eat.  There's not much to say beyond this; when I say it's easy, I'm not kidding.


Cranberry Sauce
original recipe from Ocean Spray via Beantown Baker
makes ~ 2 cups

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
12 oz. fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained


Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.  Add cranberries and return to a boil.

Reduce heat and boil gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cover and cool completely until room temperature.  Refrigerate until serving time.







No comments:

Post a Comment